Thursday, September 1, 2011

Government Folly (again)

Well, here I am, sitting here with emails from Governor Malloy's office, and my Mayor's office.  Governor Malloy's employee emails me (in response to complaint about how I was treated on Tuesday when I called his office) and tells me today (Thursday) that there is "food, water and ice" being "distributed by FEMA and the CT National Guard" and that my town should have these supplies and to call my town.  Supposedly, this distribution was going on since Monday.  It must be the stealth distribution, because not one single radio station I listened to (in the dark) mentioned anything about this.  Had they, I might have been able to get some ice and not have to throw out the contents of my fridge and freezer today (garbage day), after 4 days without power.

I sent the Governor's employee's email on to the Mayor for informational purposes.  He tells me, that what the Governor's office fails to state is that the "distribution" is going on only in Rentchler Field in East Hartford, well over 50 miles away.  Towns and cities have to request supplies and then, I suppose, get permission to obtain them from East Hartford.  But, in what?  Why aren't FEMA and National Guard trucks traveling to the cities and towns, or at least setting up distribution centers in the counties, to distribute these items?  FEMA and the National Guard have the trucks, and, supposedly, the delivery know-how (logistics - they should call on UPS for help if they can't figure it out).  And why was there no notice on radio stations?  I listened to many over the past few days and never heard a peep about this mysterious "food, water and ice".

It just reminds me of the photos and videos after Katrina of FEMA letting trucks full of ice melt and drain because FEMA failed to deliver the items to the people who needed them when they needed them (and WHERE they needed them).

Taxpayer dollars at waste again.

No comments: