Friday, August 31, 2012

98% of Republicans are not funny

Okay, let's face it - most Republicans are not funny, a few are "awkwardly" funny, and a very small percentage are funny.  Clint Eastwood falls into the not funny, awkwardly funny category.  Who thought it was a good idea to do what he did last night?  A 5 minute Dirty Harry riff or The Good The Bad and The Ugly riff, may have been OK, but I felt bad for him what with all the stammering and stuttering.  All I could think was "get the man a script, please" and "Line!".

Let's face it - very few have come out of the Hollywood Conservative Closet.  The few comedians who have outed themselves - Drew Carey, Dennis Miller and Patricia Heaton come to mind - would have done better (I would have  called on Drew myself, for whatever that's worth).

If they wanted an actor with gravitas, Tom Selleck would have been a good pick.

Sadly, I think at Clint's age, the cross country flight, the pressure of a "surprise speaker" and speaking extemporaneously was just a bad combination.  It left me feeling sad.

Keep your day jobs, Republicans, and let comedians handle comedy.  Comedy is difficult.

If it wasn't meant to be comedy, then I am not sure what Clint's segment was supposed to be (what with the take on Harvey the rabbit with the empty chair for the President).

No comments: