Tuesday, April 21, 2009

April 15, 2009 Tax Day Tea Parties


As an Independent voter, I am quite baffled and bemused by the media’s attempt to label the Tax Day Tea Parties as a Republican or conservative event. I attended an event held in at the Dutchess Stadium (seats approximately 4,300 people) in Fishkill, NY. According to MidHudson News, almost 4,000 people attended. The Poughkeepsie Journal indicated that the stadium was “almost full”. http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20090415/NEWS01/90415036 We were backed up on Interstate 84 for a couple of miles just trying to get to the event, and we had planned to arrive early. There were definitely independent voters attending, as well as Republicans, and, I believe, quite a few democrats. It was an interesting evening and program marked by a refreshing absence of name-calling and vicious personal attacks.

My purpose in attending was to protest the totally out of control spending going on right now, including the never-ending so-called “stimulus” and bailouts. These spending programs totaling trillions of dollars must be paid for. Although the President has promised a tax cut for those earning $250,000 or less per year, I believe that this is a temporary promise. These stimulus and bailout “chickens” will be coming home to roost, and all taxpayers will ultimately be called upon to pay for them with higher taxes.

Remember, politicians make promises and have no problem breaking them. In Connecticut, in 1990, as I recall, Lowell Weicker, Jr. ran for Governor and was elected, in my opinion, partially on his promise to solve the fiscal crisis in Connecticut without implementing a state income tax. However, shortly after taking office, Weicker became a staunch advocate of a state income tax, and even vetoed the General Assembly’s measure repealing the tax. Thus, today, Connecticut residents are subject to a state income tax thanks to a political candidate who, during his campaign, promised no state income tax.

The point is, at best, politicians change their minds; at worst, they tell the electorate what it wants to hear just to get into office.
Eventually, each one of us will be paying for these bailouts, stimulus and other out of control spending plans (including studies regarding pig odors) with our own hard-earned tax dollars.

My favorite photo from the Fishkill event is above. As a graduate of the same college from which Mr. Geithner graduated, I was appalled and ashamed that Mr. Geithner would appear to place the blame for his failure to properly report and pay his taxes for four years on money he earned as a consultant on Turbo Tax. I’ve used Turbo Tax for years to do my taxes, and I have had no problem reporting the income I earned as a consultant/independent contractor. Not only has Turbo Tax prompted me for such income, I had the personal responsibility to keep track of my income in order to report it and pay taxes on it.

I am not a fan of “the dog ate my homework” type of excuse for personal failure. Ultimately, it is the taxpayer's personal responsibility to keep track of his or her income, to report it accurately, and to pay taxes on it.

1 comment:

Dena said...

Awesome post! Although, I think you were a little easy on Mr Geithner. He's a flaming moron, in my humble opinion. :)

Can't wait to read more!