Monday, April 27, 2009

So long Pontiac.

As a long-time Pontiac owner (almost 20 years), this morning I sadly awoke to see the news - General Motors, in its infinite wisdom, has decided to kill off the Pontiac brand of cars. After the past year(s) of destroying the value of its shares, and the lives of its stockholders, employees and retirees (I know some would argue that the employees/unions contributed to the problem, but I am not going to address that for two reasons - I won't "kick 'em when they are down", and I believe overpaid management/executives to be a bigger problem), I can't say that I am surprised. I am disappointed, however.

And puzzled as well. Why Pontiac? Why not Buick (it just seems incredulous that it is more profitable to stay with Buick). Why not GMC - it's made on the same platform as Chevy trucks, or so I am told, and larger vehicles are so passe these days (e.g. too expensive to purchase, to operate, to maintain, and bad for the environment).

CEO Fritz Henderson reportedly said at a news conference today, supposedly in reference to discontinuing Pontiac: "We only want to do this once." If that's the case, Fritz, you can't kill Pontiac - because GM already did "this" once - when GM killed off Oldsmobile in 2004.

My spouse has been a long, long-time Ford fan. And, from the past year or so, I have come to agree that it's time for me to check out Fords again. Bill Ford, Executive Chairman of the Ford Motor Company, has impressed me with his television appearances. I've also been impressed by the fact that, although Ford Motor Company did not need or ask for Federal funds, the company traveled to Washington in support of its beleagured competitors. FMC has managed to more than stay afloat, and to avoid asking for government bailouts, and to keep its customers loyal and happy, all with minimal layoffs (compared to GM).

So, General Motors, as you unceremoniously kill off Pontiac and force me to say good-bye to my favorite cars, I will tell you this: Say good-bye to me as a customer. I've put up with a lot from GM over the years, but, killing off Pontiac is the last straw. When I go shopping for my next new car, GM will not be on my list. Ford Motor Company, however, if it continues on its path through this economic slump with as much integrity and grace as it already has shown, will be on the top of my list.

1 comment:

Dena said...

As a lifelong GM customer, I too, am sad to see Pontiac go. As you said, why not GMC? Or Buick, which are nothing more then just stripped down Cadillacs. Actually, I'm most sad about the prospect of Saturn going away. While, just by happenstance, I've never owned one, I find the brand to be an excellent business model and the way cars 'should' be sold. Plus, the latest model years have been attractive vehicles. I certainly hope someone keeps Saturn going. Maybe Ford will take it over.